The Alabama Ballet School provides the highest quality training to aspiring artists of all ages that is developmentally appropriate both physically and artistically. The Alabama Ballet School’s instruction is based on the syllabus provided by the Royal Academy of Dance in London which takes into consideration the particular level of development of each child within that level.
The RAD is an international teaching organization committed to establishing standards of excellence in ballet instruction. The faculty of the Alabama Ballet School is required to attend a workshop for the Royal Academy of Dance syllabus. This provides the students with training that is both consistent and unified. Examinations are administered to students at the end of each school year. The Alabama Ballet School strives to serve members of the community who choose to dance as an extra-curricular activity for fun and build healthy bodies as well as those who aspire to a career in dance.
- Registration begins April 1 for the 20/21 school year. There is a $30 non-refundable registration fee per family per school year due with the registration form. RAD exam and class award fees are included in tuition.
- Registration closes for the 20/21 school-year on Wednesday, August 12th. Registration will not be accepted once the first day of classes begins.
- Classes begin August 17th for the 20/21 school-year.
- Registration and payment must be complete prior to beginning classes.
- Classes are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Students registered at the Alabama Ballet Royal Academy of Dance are registered for the entire session and are responsible for payments throughout the end of the school year, unless written notification is received the month prior to withdrawal.
- Classes do have maximums to insure quality instruction.
- Be sure to register early.
Students will be placed in a level appropriate for both their age and level of physical and/or technical development. Our instructors are trained professionals who wish to provide age appropriate dance training for all of our young artists. Placement within a level is subject to change solely at the discretion of the artistic director.
*Due to COVID-19, all classes will be capped at 10 students except for Level III and up. These classes will be capped at 12 students.
- Tuition Installment Plan:
- Aug 17 – 1st installment payment of first semester due
- Sep 15 – 2nd installment due
- Oct 15 – 3rd installment due
- Nov 15 – 4th installment due
- Jan 4 – 1st installment payment of second semester due
- Feb 1 – 2nd installment due
- Mar 1 – 3rd installment due
- Apr 1 – 4th installment due
- Tuition is non-refundable beyond the first day of class, except in the case of serious illness or injury, verified by a doctor’s written confirmation.
- Tuition may be payed via check, over the phone (205-322-1874) or Venmo (@Alabama-Ballet)
- Scholarships/Financial Aid Forms must be in by September 1st for the 20/21 school year.
- Dance to Your Own Tune, Pre-Primary, Primary and Level I will offer one Zoom class and one in-person class only for the fall semester. Tuition cost is the same.
- The school does not refund registration fees.
- Tuition is based on 8 four week pay periods.
- The only Monday holiday closed is Labor Day. Please check the school calendar on the board outside the school office or the web site.
- There are no refunds for classes missed. Tuition is not pro-rated for missed classes or classes canceled because of severe weather or other extraordinary circumstances.
- Students are enrolled for the entire year with tuition due in four semester installments, by semester or by year.
- In the event that a student changes his/her mind about continuing classes with the Alabama Ballet School, tuition is still due for the remainder of the semester in which the student is enrolled. However, he/she may withdraw from classes prior to the following semester. Students must notify the school office of any changes for the second semester by the middle of the last month of the first semester. This must be in writing or by e-mail.
- Students with past due tuition will not be allowed to take class until payment is cleared.
- A $25 fee will be charged for all returned checks.
- Send check payments to the Alabama Ballet School, 2726 1st Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35233, or turn in to the school office.
- A late fee of $20 will be charged on payments received past due dates (after the 15th of the month in first semester or 1st of month in second semester).
- To keep administration costs low, no monthly bills will be sent. Invoices will be sent only to those paying per semester, and to those who are late with their payment.
- Yearly payments are due by the first day of the beginning of the school year. Semester payments are due by the first day of each semester. Monthly payments are due the first class day of each month, and are considered late past the 15th (or 1st) of each month.
Education Sponsors to Thank
- Mike and Gillian Goodrich Charitable Foundation
- Alabama State Council on the Arts
- National Endowment for the Arts
- The Joseph S. Bruno Foundation
- Daniel Foundation of Alabama
- The Caring Foundation
- Comer Foundation
- Wells Fargo
- City of Birmingham
- Burr & Forman LLP
Health and Safety Guidelines
All students, parents/guardians and staff should familiarize themselves with the following health and safety guidelines prior to the start of the school-year. Please print and bring the signed waiver with your student for the first day of classes.