June 5 – July 1, 2023
Classes are carefully graded by technical ability and physical strength. Students are placed into levels by a placement class on the first day of the program, Monday, June 5th. The curriculum for each level is created to be the most advantageous to each student at his or her own stage of development. The emphasis of the program is placed on ballet, but supplementary classes in pointe, variations, jazz, modern, and hip hop are included. All students participate in rehearsals for the Workshop Performance in addition to scheduled classes.
Daily Schedule – Classes run from 10 am until 5 pm with a lunch break.
The program is under the supervision of Director of School Operations, Natalie Hunt, and classes are taught by the School Faculty and renowned guest instructors and artists from around the world.
- Tracey Alvey | Former Alabama Ballet Artistic Director, Former London City Ballet Principal
- Roger Van Fleteren | Alabama Ballet Associate Artistic Director, Former ABT Soloist and London City Ballet Principal
- Wes Chapman | Alabama School of Fine Arts Dance Chairman, Former ABT Principal
- Shawn Black | Alabama Native and Former ABT Soloist
- Donnette Cannonie | Chicago Dancer, Choreographer, contemporary and hip hop instructor
- Brandon Ragland | Louisville Ballet Company Dancer and Choreographer
- Alex Swader | NYC based choreographer and dancer
- Mary Margaret Scalici | Birmingham Based Pilates and Fitness Instructor
*subject to change
Tuition & Fees
Tuition for all students is $525 per week. A discount of $100 is given to those students staying all 4 weeks. This amount covers all classes, seminars, and activities occurring on the premises of the Alabama Ballet Center for Dance. A NON-REFUNDABLE deposit of $200 (due April 3rd, 2023) is credited towards this amount. Complete payment of tuition and fees must be received by May 5, 2023.
Summer Program Performance
The Alabama Ballet believes that performing is an important part of the intermediate and advanced students development as a dancer. The Summer Program Performance offers all students the opportunity to rehearse and perform a piece of repertory under the guidance of the Summer Program faculty. The performance is held on Saturday, July 1st at 12:00 p.m. in the informal space of the main studio at the Alabama Ballet Center for Dance.
Limited scholarships and financial aid are available to outstanding applicants. Financial aid information is available on request. The Deadline to apply for financial scholarship is Feb. 25th, 2023.
The Alabama Ballet invites intermediate and advanced ballet students, ages 11–19, to audition for an incredible four-week summer program at our ballet facility, featuring six state-of-the-art studios in Birmingham, Alabama. An exceptional faculty of resident and guest teachers provide caring and careful instruction to further each young dancer’s technical and artistic progress. Daily technique, pointe and variations classes are supplemented by informational seminars on topics important to the young dancer. The program culminates in an end of session performance.
- Jan. 14 | Alabama Ballet Center for Dance | Birmingham, AL | Registration at 1:30 PM | Audition at 2:00 PM
- Feb. 4 | Classical Ballet of Mobile | Mobile, AL | Registration at 10:00 AM | Audition Class 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Feb. 5 | Metropolitan Ballet Theatre | Atlanta, GA | Registration at 1:30 PM (ET) and Audition Class at 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM (ET)
The online registration form will close for each audition location the Friday before at 4 PM. If you would like to register after 4 PM or the day of, please download and print the form pdf below and bring your registration fee. Registration can be accepted up until the audition time.
- Complete registration online form and payment below OR
- Please bring a $20 audition fee and form below if registering in person.
- Females wear black leotard, pink tights. Bring pointe shoes.
- Males wear white t-shirt or leotard, black tights.
- Bring a full-body photograph of yourself in first arabesque in dance clothing (no skirts please) and head shot. A good quality photocopy is acceptable.
Auditions by Mail
For those who cannot attend the audition, we accept a video. It should be a maximum length of 5 minutes of work in ballet class, no barre work. Students 15 and over should include a classical variation on pointe if applicable. Video auditions must be postmarked on or before March 1, 2023.
- Acceptable video audition formats:
- DVD or flash drive mailed to: Alabama Ballet School, Attn: Natalie Hunt 2726 1st Ave South, Birmingham, AL, 35233. Include registration form, full body first arabesque photo (no skirts), headshot, and a $25 check for audition fee.
- OR Email an unlisted Youtube or private Vimeo link to email@example.com. Be sure to include any necessary passwords, full body first arabesque photo (no skirts), and headshot. Please complete the electronic registration form below. Select ‘Unable to Attend Live Audition’ under the Audition Location drop down menu.
*Please do not call the Alabama Ballet for acceptance status. All applicants will be notified via email.
If you have any questions, please contact Alabama Ballet School Director, Natalie Hunt, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205-322-1874.