June 7 – July 3, 2021
The Alabama Ballet Summer Program is a four-week intensive workshop for intermediate and advanced students ages 11–19. Students attend daily ballet technique, pointe and variations classes, as well as modern dance, jazz and hip-hop classes and seminars on topics important to the developing dancer. In addition, rehearsals for the Workshop Performance are scheduled as needed.
Classes are carefully graded by technical ability and physical strength. Students are placed into levels by a placement class on the first day of the program, Monday, June 7th. The curriculum for each level is created to be the most advantageous to each student at his or her own stage of development. The emphasis of the program is placed on ballet, but supplementary classes in pointe, variations, jazz, modern, and hip hop are included. All students participate in rehearsals for the Workshop Performance in addition to scheduled classes.
Daily Schedule – Classes run from 10am until 5pm with a lunch break.
The program is under the supervision of Alabama Ballet’s Artistic Director, Tracey Alvey, and classes are taught by the Alabama Ballet Artistic Staff, School Faculty and renowned guest instructors and artists from around the world.
- Tracey Alvey | Alabama Ballet Artistic Director, Former London City Ballet Principal
- Roger Van Fleteren | Alabama Ballet Associate Artistic Director, Former ABT Soloist and London City Ballet Principal
- Wes Chapman | Alabama School of Fine Arts Dance Chairman, Former ABT Principal
- Shawn Black | Alabama Native and Former ABT Soloist
- Donnette Cannonie | Chicago Dancer, Choreographer, contemporary and hip hop instructor
- Brandon Ragland | Louisville Ballet Company Dancer and Choreographer
- Olivia Powell | freelance artist based in the Pompano Beach area
- Mary Margaret Scalici | Birmingham Based Pilates and Fitness Instructor
*subject to change
Tuition & Fees
Tuition for all students is $525 per week. A discount of $100 is given to those students staying all 4 weeks. This amount covers all classes, seminars, and activities occurring on the premises of the Alabama Ballet Center for Dance. A NON-REFUNDABLE deposit of $200 (due March 5th) is credited towards this amount. Complete payment of tuition and fees must be received by May 1, 2021.
Summer Program Performance
The Alabama Ballet believes that performing is an important part of the intermediate and advanced students development as a dancer. The Summer Program Performance offers all students the opportunity to rehearse and perform a piece of repertory under the guidance of the Summer Program faculty. The performance is held on Saturday, July 3rd at 12:00 p.m. in the informal space of the main studio at the Alabama Ballet Center for Dance. Parents and friends are invited to attend. Limited scholarships and financial aid are available to outstanding applicants. Financial aid information available on request.
The Alabama Ballet invites intermediate and advanced ballet students, ages 11–19, to audition for an incredible four-week summer program at our ballet facility, featuring six state-of-the-art studios in Birmingham, Alabama. An exceptional faculty of resident and guest teachers provide caring and careful instruction to further each young dancer’s technical and artistic progress. Daily technique, pointe and variations classes are supplemented by informational seminars on topics important to the young dancer. The program culminates in an end of session performance.
- Jan. 9 | Metropolitan Ballet Theatre | Atlanta, GA | Registration at 2:30 PM EST | Audition at 3:00 PM EST
- Jan. 16 | Alabama Ballet Center for Dance | Birmingham, AL | Registration at 1:30 PM | Audition at 2:00 PM
- Jan. 30 | Classical Ballet of Mobile | Mobile, AL | Registration at 1:00 PM | Audition at 1:30 PM
The online registration form will close for each audition location the Friday before at 4PM. If you would like to register after 4PM or the day-of, please download and print the form pdf below and bring your registration fee. Registration can be accepted up until the audition time.
- Complete registration online form and payment below OR
- Please bring a $20 audition fee and form below if registering in person.
- Females wear black leotard, pink tights. Bring pointe shoes.
- Males wear white t-shirt or leotard, black tights.
- Bring a full-body photograph of yourself in first arabesque in dance clothing (no skirts please) and head shot. A good quality photocopy is acceptable.
Auditions by Mail
For those who cannot attend the audition, we accept a video. It should be a maximum length of 5 minutes of work in ballet class, no barre work. Students 15 and over should include a classical variation on pointe if applicable. Video auditions must be postmarked on or before Feb. 26, 2021.
- Download registation form HERE
- Send $25 check for the audition fee
- Send full-body photo in first arabesque (no skirts please) and headshot
*Please do not call the Alabama Ballet for acceptance status. All applicants will be notified via email.
If you have any questions, please contact Alabama Ballet School Administrator, Rachel Singletary, at email@example.com or 205-322-1874.
Summer Program Audition
In-person audition registration has closed for 2021