JUNE 4-30, 2018
The Alabama Ballet Summer Program is a four-week intensive workshop for intermediate and advanced students ages 11–19. Students attend daily ballet technique, pointe and variations classes, as well as modern dance, jazz and hip-hop classes and seminars on topics important to the developing dancer. In addition, rehearsals for the Workshop Performance are scheduled as needed.
Classes are carefully graded by technical ability and physical strength. Students are placed into levels by a placement class on the first day of the program, Monday, June 4. The curriculum for each level is created to be the most advantageous to each student at his or her own stage of development. The emphasis of the program is placed on ballet, but supplementary classes in pointe, variations, jazz, modern, and hip hop are included. All students participate in rehearsals for the Workshop Performance in addition to scheduled classes.
Birmingham offers a wealth of cultural activities. Planned outings are scheduled to such sites as the historic Alabama Theatre, Alabama Adventure as well as shopping excursions to the Summit and Colonial Brookwood Village. Day students are welcome and are encouraged to meet the dorm students at each of these places.
TUITION AND FEES
Tuition for all students is $525 per week. A discount of $100 is given to those students staying all 4 weeks. This amount covers all classes, seminars, and activities occurring on the premises of the Alabama Ballet Center for Dance. A NON-REFUNDABLE deposit of $200 (due March 4th) is credited towards this amount. Complete payment of tuition and fees must be received by May 1, 2018.
The program is under the supervision of Alabama Ballet’s Artistic Director, Tracey Alvey, and classes are taught by the Alabama Ballet Artistic Staff, School Faculty and renowned guest instructors and artists from around the world.
Summer Program instructors include:
- Tracey Alvey | Alabama Ballet Artistic Director, Former London City Ballet Principal
- Roger Van Fleteren | Alabama Ballet Associate Artistic Director, Former ABT Soloist and London City Ballet Principal
- Wes Chapman | Alabama School of Fine Arts Dance Chairman, Former ABT Principal
- Shawn Black | Alabama Native and Former ABT Soloist
- Donnette Cannonie | Chicago Dancer, Choreographer, contemporary and hip hop instructor
- Brandon Ragland | Louisville Ballet Company Dancer and Choreographer
- Olivia Powell | freelance artist based in the Pompano Beach area
- Mary Margaret Scalici | Birmingham Based Pilates and Fitness Instructor
SUMMER PROGRAM PERFORMANCE
The Alabama Ballet believes that performing is an important part of the intermediate and advanced students development as a dancer. The Summer Program Performance offers all students the opportunity to rehearse and perform a piece of repertory under the guidance of the Summer Program faculty. The performance is held on Saturday, June 30th at 12:00 p.m. in the informal space of the main studio at the Alabama Ballet Center for Dance. Parents and friends are invited to attend. Limited scholarships and financial aid are available to outstanding applicants. Financial aid information available on request.
The Alabama Ballet invites intermediate and advanced ballet students, ages 11–19, to audition for an incredible four-week summer program at our ballet facility, featuring six state-of-the-art studios in Birmingham, Alabama. An exceptional faculty of resident and guest teachers provide caring and careful instruction to further each young dancer’s technical and artistic progress. Daily technique, pointe and variations classes are supplemented by informational seminars on topics important to the young dancer. The program culminates in an end of session performance.
2018 AUDITION DATES
JAN 13 | METROPOLITAN BALLET THEATRE | ATLANTA, GA
Registration at 9:30 AM | Class 10:00-11:30 AM
JAN 27 | ALABAMA BALLET CENTER FOR DANCE | BIRMINGHAM, AL
Registration at 12:30 PM | Class 1:00-2:30 PM
FEB 3 | CLASSICAL BALLET OF MOBILE | MOBILE, AL
Registration at 12:30 PM | Class 1:00-2:30 PM
MAR 9 | ANDALUSIA BALLET | ANDALUSIA, AL
Registration at 3:00 PM | Class 4:00-5:30 PM
- Please bring a $20 audition fee.
- Females wear black leotard, pink tights. Bring pointe shoes.
- Males wear white t-shirt or leotard, black tights.
- Bring a full-body photograph of yourself in first arabesque in dance clothing (no skirts please) and head shot. A good quality photocopy is acceptable.
AUDITIONS BY MAIL
For those who cannot attend the audition, we accept a video. It should be a maximum length of 5 minutes of work in ballet class, no barre work. Students 15 and over should include a classical variation on pointe if applicable. Video auditions must be postmarked on or before Feb 25, 2018.
- Request a brochure/audition form
- Send $25 check for the audition fee
- Send full-body photo in first arabesque (no skirts please) and headshot
Alabama Ballet School
2726 1st Avenue South,
Birmingham, AL 35233